What is it about this tasty, miniature cake that we all love? Is it the fluffy, moist texture of our favorite cake flavor, or is it that sweet frosting that seals the deal? Either way, we love cupcakes, and we sure are glad they exist!
Celebrate this sweet holiday by checking out these 8 fun facts about cupcakes!
- While they hadn’t grown in popularity until recent years, cupcakes have been around since 1796. A recipe for “a cake to be baked in small cups” was featured in American Cookery at the time.
- Before muffin tins were invented or even widely available, these confectionary treats were often baked in pottery cups, ramekins, molds, and other kinds of “cups.” The name “cupcake” stuck and is given to any small cake that is roughly the size of a teacup.
- Before being called cupcakes, these desserts were originally called “number cakes” or “1234 cakes.” That’s because it was a relatively easy way for bakers to remember the portions of their ingredients: 1 cup of butter, 2 cups of sugar, 3 cups of flour, 4 eggs, 1 cup of milk, and 1 spoonful of soda.
- Cupcakes are often referred to as “fairy cakes” in the United Kingdom and “patty cakes” in Australia.
- As hard as it might be to imagine, cupcakes were not frosted originally. They were typically just flavored with dried fruit or spices or gilded with lard as a way to keep the cake moist. You can thank Winston Churchill for suggesting that a type of sweet frosting be added atop these handheld treats.
- Cupcakes started becoming more popular in 1919 when Hostess began mass-producing them. However, they didn’t possess the cream-filled centers and frosting that we know until the 1950s.
- The world’s largest cupcake was created on August 15, 2009. It weighed 1,224 pounds and was 4 feet tall by 10 feet wide. Crazier yet, it had over 2 million calories!
- Conversely, the world’s smallest cupcake ever made was 1.5 centimeters tall and 3 centimeters wide!
We hope you enjoyed these fun facts about cupcakes! Don’t forget to come in to McArthur’s and celebrate National Cupcake Lover’s Day with one of our delicious, fresh cupcakes, or bring a dozen of them home or in to your workplace! Learn more by visiting us at www.mcarthurs.com.